Scientism is prevalent religion of the modern western world. Let’s differentiate here. Science is the pursuit of truth using the scientific method. Scientism is a dogmatic belief system defended fiercely on the Internet by believers every bit as rabid as any traditional religion. It has succeeded by vanquishing all other philosophical and spiritual approaches from classrooms throughout the western world. Its dogmatic expressions are marked by the same core flaw of other religions. Our truth IS the truth and not merely a belief.
Ten Commandments of Scientism are:
1. There is no intelligence behind this multiverse.
2. Everything in the universe, including life and consciousness, is one massive cosmic accident.
3. There is no way to knowledge, but the scientific method.
4. If it can’t be observed, weighed, or measured, it’s not real.
5. All things supernatural or extraterrestrial are voodoo.
6. Consciousness is an emergent property of biology and only exists in the physical brain.
7. Darwin’s Theory of Evolution settles all debates.
8. Faster-than-light travel is impossible.
9. Ancient human beings are sophisticated scientists and engineers when building megaliths, but unsophisticated morons when talking about the beings that helped them with civilization.
10. If you don’t have credentials after your name, you can’t know anything important.
It would seem to have quite a following, too. It must hurt to be so closed-minded, I think? 😉